I get it. Some days, especially when the warm summer nights and days by the pool are over, it’s a little tough to keep your normally sunny disposition afloat. That’s why today, I thought it’d be fun to round up 10 simple ways to boost your happiness on a daily basis.
1. BE THANKFUL. Wake up a couple minutes earlier and jot down five things you’re thankful for today. They could be as simple or detailed as you’d like, but make sure to be mindful with each one you are writing down, understanding that even the simplest things we enjoy everyday, like our health and loved ones, are the things others are wishing for. This is sure to help you realize that the little pesters in life are nothing compared to how much you have to be grateful for.
2. TAKE SOME ‘ME’ TIME. Pampering yourself before bed, or waking up a little early for an extra 10 mins in the hot shower can go a long way, especially when it can sometimes feel like your whole day revolves around work and putting others first.
3. EAT A PIECE OF DARK CHOCOLATE. The antioxidants that are found in it can trigger your blood vessel to not only relax, but lower your blood pressure.
4. ACKNOWLEDGE PEOPLE AROUND YOU. Say thank you when someone does something nice for you. Give a compliment. Address a waiter or barista by their name. Acknowledging other people makes you feel like you are contributing to society, not just an outsider looking it. The wise tale is true; happiness is a result from what we give, not what we get.
5. TAKE AN HOUR AWAY FROM TECHNOLOGY. Watch the sun set. Go on a walk. Take your pup to the park. Or have a coffee date with a friend you haven’t caught up with in a while. A technology detox is needed for your mind and soul, and it’s sure to boost your energy.
6. GO OUTSIDE. Speaking of walks- get outdoors for a little bit. It’s been scientifically proven again and again that a little greenery, even a little exposure, can boost your mental health immensely.
7. LISTEN TO SOMETHING THAT WILL HELP YOU GROW. Remember when you use to spend hours in school trying to figure out how to use that math formula, even though it totally sucked, how rewarding it felt after you finally figured it out? Well it’s the same thing as adults. Whether it’s a podcast about the origins of chewing gum, or John Maxwell audiobook on personal development, learning something new each day triggers a feeling of satisfaction and achievement. Set aside time everyday to keep your brain engaged; you’ll feel the instant gratification on this one, I promise.
8. PLAY WITH YOUR PET (or the one you pass on the walk to work). Even if it’s just a couple minutes snuggling up to your little guy, or a quick encounter with that cute dog from down the street, an animals unconditional love will boost your happiness according to science.
9. EXERCISE. Even if it’s just a quick 30 minute yoga video you found on YouTube, exercise has proven time and time again what a powerful affect it has on your mental health. The endorphins released when you get moving are sure to make even the sluggish of days much better.
10. SMILE. As silly (and over stated) this one may sound, it’s true, and there’s tons of research to back it up. Throughout the day we get more and more lost in our computers and phones without even realizing we’re spending most of our time with our heads down. Taking a break to look around a force a smile, even for a couple seconds, will decrease all the stress in your life. Theres a reason why so much research has been done on this; it’s so simple and quick, it seems too good to be true.
So there you have it guys, 10 super easy ways to help you feel happier on a daily basis. Comment on some other tricks you use, I’d love to make this list a little longer (;